What better way to start the new year than to take the time to love your skin? Mature skin needs a specific skin care regimen that not only covers the basic cleansing, toning and moisturizing requirements, but also specifically targets the telltale signs of aging. However, we also believe in prevention. Since the age of 20, we’ve been on this anti-aging regimen, in hopes of delaying the wrinkles as long as possible. Following this routine isn’t just to minimize the signs of aging, but it will help your skin look well-groomed and glowing! We need consistent efforts in order to see the best results, so be sure to follow this routine each day.
The important thing to remember is to use the lightest product first, and the heaviest product last. With each step, use a gentle touch, and apply in an upward and outward direction. Facial skin is much thinner than the skin elsewhere on our bodies. You don’t want to help gravity along by pulling or tugging downward on your skin, as it won’t bounce back. Don’t forget to use all of these steps on your neck as well.
1. Select a gentle cleanser that is made for your skin type that cleans away dirt, sweat, and makeup without stripping your skin of natural oils. It’s not as important to search for anti-aging specific cleansers, as they are just rinsed off of your face, and do not penetrate the skin. Massage gently into skin and rinse off with warm water. Gently pat the skin dry.
2. Use an antioxidant toner applied to a cotton ball to gently swipe across your face to remove any makeup or dirt that the cleanser missed. This balances the pH in your skin and leaves it as a clean canvas, ready for the products to be applied. On evenings that we’re too tired to use a cleanser, we love using makeup wipes instead! We love organic hydrosols, especially ones that are perfect for your skin type. Have normal skin? Rose hydrosol is perfect. For oily and combination skin, we suggest lime or geranium hydrosols.
3. Now that your face is refreshed and clean, apply a facial serum. This is the product that should be packed with antioxidants, peptides, vitamins and other age-fighting ingredients. Serums with these ingredients penetrate deeply into the skin and will stimulate the production of collagen and elastin, two elements critical to building a string support foundation for the skin.
4. If you’re using targeted treatments for fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth and eyes, apply these now!
5. Finally, select a moisturizer for your skin type. Personally, we love using facial oils, as they’re effective for most skin types. Check out our Soothe or Sublime Oil Serums for normal skin types, or our Balance Oil Serum for oily and combination skin types. They’ve got antioxidants like d-alpha tocopherol, pomegranate seed oil, argan oil, and much more. Pump a small amount, and massage into your face and neck using gentle, upward strokes.
Follow this routine twice a day with quality products, and you’ll soon be on your way to feeling the difference that a quality age fighting skin care routine can bring.
What is your current skincare routine like? Let us know in the comments below!