The heat wave has been gaining steadily across the country as we hit summer, but that doesn’t mean we have to give up on looking our best in this sweltering heat. We’ve garnered plenty of requests for great skin and makeup tips, and we’ve answered your call. (Just call us Lois Lane). We’ve compiled a list of our favorite tips and brands that we use all summer long.
- Eye shadow: We adore cream shadows for summer, as they blend nicely, and won’t smear as much with the (dark) pressed shadows. (We’re a big fan of the shimmer types) Cream eye shadows can also be used to highlight the face and brows. Currently, we’re using Lauren Brooke Cosmetique’s Pearl shadow: it’s a beautiful, shimmery color that’s subtle, and is reminiscent of vanilla.
- Facial Oil/Moisturizer: We love the Wonderland Organics Balance Serum (available soon on Etsy) to help balance oily and combination skin. The kukui and jojoba oils help moisturize, and the apricot kernel oil has a slight tightening property to balance the skin’s sebum. Best of all, it has a light citrusy scent that smells spa-like.
- Blush: What we find incredibly useful are those multi-purpose products. The Vapour Organic Beauty blush stain can be used on the lips, eyes and cheeks. We were actually lucky enough to win this beaut a few years ago in a contest, and fell in love ever since. Since red is such a hot color, this particular stain looks fantastic on your cheekbones (gently rubbed in), and as a pop of color on your lips.
- Toner: We’ve mentioned it before, but hydrosols are a must to keep cool in the heat. They’re best to spritz before using facial oils/moisturizers, and after to set your look. Hydrosols are also great for aromatherapy purposes: spray, then breathe deeply for a second or two to absorb the lovely scent (rose is fantastic).
- Deodorant: We all need deodorant to keep us fresh during these hot summer days. You might even say it’s one of the most important skincare needs we have during this season! We’ve been using Bubble and Bee’s cream deodorants for the past few years, and they’ve been life-saving. You simply apply with clean fingers, and it keeps for hours. Our favorite scent is the lime and geranium, though they offer plenty of choices. Pro tip: keep this in the fridge, especially during the summer! Don’t you adore this packaging?
- Lip balm: What’s not to love about lip balm? It fits perfectly in our purses (or pants for you gentlemen out there). We usually use this for chapped and dry lips– but did you know lip balm can also be used as a nail cuticle balm, or for dry skin spots in a pinch? (We advise using clean hands only).
- Mascara: Living in Asia meant finding mascara that wouldn’t smear, stat. While we loved using natural brands, we realized that many of these brands still left us looking like a panda after a 104 F degree day. Thus, we made the difficult decision to stick to more mainstream brands– they have less than awesome ingredients, but they hold up better in the heat. For instance, Shiseido’s waterproof mascara and Benefit’s They’re Real mascara have performed admirably.
Is there anything you’d like us to add to the list? Do let us know in the comments below!