The heat wave has been gaining steadily across the country (even as summer comes to an end), but that doesn’t mean we have to give up on looking our best in this sweltering heat. I was inspired by the skincare and makeup tags on Instagram, and wanted to highlight some amazing products. Below are my top six favorite tips and brands that have worked all summer long, even with the heat.
- Eye shadow: Cream shadows have been great for summer, as they blend nicely, and won’t smear as much with the (dark) pressed shadows. (We’re a big fan of the shimmer types) Cream eye shadows can also be used to highlight the face and brows. Currently, I’m using RMS Beauty’s Solar shadow: it’s a shimmery color that’s subtle and somehow manages to be neutral. I use this to highlight my cheeks as well!
- Blush: What I find incredibly useful are multi-purpose products. The Vapour Organic Beauty blush stain can be used on the lips, eyes and cheeks. I was actually lucky enough to win this beaut a few years ago in a contest, and fell in love ever since. Since red is such a hot color, this particular stain looks fantastic on your cheekbones (gently rubbed in), and as a pop of color on your lips.
- Toner: Hydrosols are my favorite spritzer and a must to keep cool in the heat. They’re best to spritz before using facial oils/moisturizers, and after to set your look. Hydrosols are also great for aromatherapy purposes: spray, then breathe deeply for a second or two to absorb the lovely scent (rose is fantastic).
- Sunscreen: One of the best products for the summer! I highly encourage using a sunscreen of SPF50 all over your face and body (about a shotglass worth) before heading outside. I started using Rubber Ducky Sunscreen last year, and have loved it ever since. They use zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, but what differentiates them from other sunscreens is that the brand includes iron oxides to disguise any white casts. It has the effect of acting like a foundation as well (which is amazing). Its only con is that it may stain clothing due to the iron oxides.
- Deodorant: We all need deodorant to keep us fresh during these hot summer days. You might even say it’s one of the most important skincare needs we have during this season! I’ve been using Bubble and Bee’s cream deodorants for the past few years, and they’ve been life-saving. You simply apply with clean fingers, and it keeps for hours. My favorite scent is the lime and geranium, though they offer plenty of choices. Pro tip: keep this in the fridge, especially during the summer!
Moisturizer: The Wonderland Organics Balance Serum is a facial oil designed for combination, oily, sensitive, and acne-prone skin. Organic and wildharvested ingredients like jojoba and apricot kernel oils help keep your skin’s sebum balanced in the heat. You’ll be sure to love its citrusy herbal scent!
For more sun safety information, be sure to check out my post here.
Do you have a holy grail product for the summer? Let me know in the comments below!
Submit your review